Monday, June 30, 2014

Uninspired To Write

When you're uninspired to write, make your next book cover.

My covers are simple and have no sexual overtones at all despite writing romance, contemporary women, and erotica genres. The reason, I'm cheap. I don't want to spend money to buy a stock picture that most of the writers in the same genre are using. I'm pretty creative and knew that I could figure out something for the covers. I've taken photography, especially product photography, for a long time. In my first cover, I used a black foam board and white feathers from the craft store. I did the post processing online using Pixlr Express.

This time, I used a white foam board, a broken engagement ring*, a sunny window, and Pixlr Express to post process.


It's not perfection. It is super simple. Not sexy at all. Eventually, I hope to be financially capable of adding more to my self-publishing budget and have the bells and whistles. When you're starting out and navigating the indie publishing business, you reduce costs as much as possible, especially as a stay at home mom with no self generated income.

*No engagement rings were harmed in the making of this cover. I stupidly broke my ring while moving around a heavy washing machine. My mistrust of people is the reason I haven't gotten it fixed, much to my husband's chagrin.

No comments: